Folsom Chip Amp Help

madsry

Folsom Chip Amp Help
« on: 16 Dec 2019, 08:54 pm »
So I have the amp board from Folsom already, and now looking for some advice on what parts combination to use to build it out.  I'd also like to see if there is anyone here who would be willing to build the amp for me.

There are two scenarios where this amp would be used (possibly both).

One, I'm looking at Danny's Studio Monitors for a recording studio that I'm putting together and Danny thought the Folsom amp might be a good match for mixing and mastering.

Second, and in conjunction with 2 pairs of servo subs, I'm eyeballing the NX-Otica MTM or possibly the Super Mini's to place on top of the servo subs (sounds like the Wedgie's are out of stock, but curious about those as well).  I haven't made it through all of the available info here yet, but intrigued by all of these options and would welcome any feedback.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Folsom Chip Amp Help
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2019, 02:50 am »
Check out this website:
https://simplepleasuretubeamps.wordpress.com/about/

Radu Tarta is the man behind Simple Pleasure Tube amps. He built my Folsom's Little Chip amp for me. He did an excellent job; charged a reasonable fee, and communicated clearly throughout the process.

Michael

sarora9

« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2019, 04:18 am »
Radu Tarta says he is no longer doing solid state builds.

uncola

« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2019, 06:52 pm »
that's too bad about Radu not doing solid state amps anymore.. was hoping he'd do some of folsom's new higher power chipamps so we could see more reviews

sarora9

« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2019, 02:35 am »
Radu said he did a few 7293 amps too before he stopped.

Folsom

« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2019, 02:02 am »
DIYaudio.com may have some people who want to build.

vilding

• Musician. Audiophile on a budget.
« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2020, 10:39 am »
Are there still boards and schematics for sale? I'm dying to try those little beasts out!

Sonicjoy

« Reply #7 on: 20 Feb 2020, 01:06 pm »
I'm intrigued by these as well. My Emerald Physics EP 2.7 speakers are 97 db efficient with two 15" woofers. The idea of powering such large speakers with these tiny little amps very interesting. They could probably be built into the crossover boxes that sit on the bass of the speakers. Self powered speakers. Humm?

DeeJayBump

« Reply #8 on: 20 Feb 2020, 06:27 pm »
Are there still boards and schematics for sale? I'm dying to try those little beasts out!

For Folsom's 7297 amps [15 wpc] :
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/309860-folsom-diy7297-amp-antipole-psu-23.html

For Folsom's new EC7293 amps [60/120 wpc @ 8/4 ohm]:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/338275-folsom-ec7293-pvi-powered-frontend-60-120w-8-4ohm.html

Folsom is user Destroyer OS, so you can PM him there for purchase.

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2020, 07:35 pm »
Email is the best way to contact me: folsom.jeremyh@gmail.com

(In PM's I instruct people to email me)

mresseguie

« Reply #10 on: 20 Feb 2020, 09:38 pm »
[I have Jeremy's permission to post this]

I own one of Folsom's Little Chip Amps (7297). It was built for me by Radu Tarta (as mentioned above). I paid Radu $694 to build it (for parts plus labor). Photos coming. It is indeed a nice tube-like sounding little amp. However, I have too many amps (really), so this one has sat in my home office for ~6 months and been used just twice in that time. I'd like to offer mine up for sale if any of you are interested. I'll have to check my emails to figure out how much extra I paid to have Radu build mine, but you can expect my asking price will be higher than buying individual parts and slapping them together yourself.

If you are interested, send me a PM. I'll get off my butt and determine how much to ask for this amp. [I'll ask that you pay shipping to CONUS and, possibly, ask you to pay PayPal fees.] I'll even post a couple photos if it helps. $550 + insured shipping to CONUS + Paypal fees (negotiable).

Regards,

Michael

« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2020, 06:18 pm by mresseguie »

Vlad

« Reply #11 on: 21 Feb 2020, 12:38 am »
I can build this amp for you. Which board do you have? I built the 7297 one for Tomy2Tone couple years ago - I can try and find this build (I think it is in the 'cheap and cheerful' circle in the 'Folsom 7297 amp' thread). I am in Portland, OR.

Vlad

PS: this is my build - scroll down the thread:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=138229.760

« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2020, 12:55 am by Vlad »

mresseguie

« Reply #12 on: 22 Feb 2020, 12:15 am »
My amp:

Notice the upgraded caps (red)